Andie's Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Health Update

Today I went in for my CT Scan and it was AWFUL!!! Don't get one if you don't have too! I had to be on a 4 hour fast before I went in so the first thing I did today was I woke up at 6 o'clock this morning to drink some nasty barium liquid vanilla flavored nastiness for two hours before I even left for the hospital to do the test. When I got to the hospital I filled out my paperwork (why I was having a CT Scan...what has been hurting...when's my date of birth etc) and about 5 minutes after I was done filling out the paperwork they called me back to start the scan. I sat down on the bed and the man that was working told me what we were going to be doing, an iodine contrast scan, and said that we needed to start an IV for the iodine and also in case I had an allergic reaction. He tried to start the IV in my forearm and missed my vein and got another nurse who tried in my other arm next to my elbow, twice, and searched around in there for about 15 minutes and didn't find the vein. So the man went and got one more nurse to try and start the IV and she looked and kept looking until she found one and THEN she poked it right about where my thumb bone meets my wrist. It was a deep vein, but she finally got it so they hooked up the rest of the IV and as soon as that was hooked up we started the scan. The machine would talk to me and tell me when to breathe and to hold my breath and the scan took less than 5 minutes. When they put the iodine in me it made my body feel like it was on fire and I felt like passing out...the first time that has happened to me (feeling like passing out). It was the weirdest feeling ever! When the test was all finished the lab guy had me sit on the side of the bed and bandaged all my "poke sites" and gave me the instructions for after the procedure. I went to work and then I went shopping with my mom, not having eaten anything from the fast I had to be on, and almost passed out in the middle of Wal Mart. That was exciting. So pretty much now all we are waiting for is the results to make sure I'm going to live. That will come in at the beginning of next week, when I am at girls camp so it will be a while before I update.

No comments:

Post a Comment